Philippine kills Astore Markhore in Sasi valley

GILGIT:  As the trophy hunting season is going to close in Gilgit-Baltistan, a Philippine hunter has killed the season’s largest Astore Markhore in Sasi valley Gilgit on Monday. Trophy hunting of Astore Markhore was worth $ 67,500.

“Astore Markhore measuring 44 inches on the horn is now the worthy animal to be hunted 260meter long,” Ali local guides of fernier hunter told Outpost after hunt.

Meanwhile, G-B government set this year’s hunting permits for four markhors, 60 ibexes and eight blue sheep were auctioned in Gilgit this week. The license fees for markhors, Himalayan blue sheep and ibexes have been set at $67,500, $8,800 and $3,000, respectively.

Mobshir, RFO Wild life Gilgit told Outpost that the trophy hunting quota is decided on the basis of annual surveys conducted by wildlife experts.

Trophy hunting programme began in the 1980s. It is carried out under the Convention on International Trade of Endangered Species of Wildlife and is allowed only in notified areas of G-B in collaboration with the relevant communities.

“Threatened species in G-B markhors in particular are hunted by foreigners in return for thousands of dollars. With each hunt, GB government would give 80 per cent of the proceeds to the respective local communities and the rest of 20 per cent would go to the government exchequer” he added.

About admin

x

Check Also

Social media and our responsibilities as Muslim.

By:M Tariq Azam Taimouri Social media and our responsibilities as Muslim. Electronic media is one of the most effective weapons ...